Saturday 3 May 2014

Stage 2: Using soluble fabric

I have tried dissovable fabric once before, in an earlier module of this course, and found it rather difficult and the results disappointing. I had some ideas about why this might be, and was glad of the opportunity to try again, this time with some instructions.

First I did some sketchbook work to make a design that would be lacy, but with the elements linked as recommended in the course work.

I decided from this sketch that the curved dark lines were better with the spirals





I started by machine stitching little zigzags in the spiral pattern.


Then I added curved strips of semi-translucent fabrics and lace,
fixing them on with another layer of stitching in the spirals.
You need at least two layers of stitching because otherwise
it unravells when you dissolve the fabric.

After dissolving, the shapes were floppier, and looked more organic.
This is the finished sample seen superimposed on the grey circles from the
last blog entry. There is a hole in the middle where the design elements were not thoroughly linked.

What I have learned from this:
It doesn't take much practice to get a better result from this soluble fabric.
Walking foot on the machine helps a lot.
It doesn't need very hot water, or much rubbing either, so it's ok to use quite flimsy fabrics and yarns.
It would be difficult to get a very precise result. At least until I'm getting better at it!
The fine plastic netting I used (wrapping net from our christmas tree) gives a lovely shiny messy result and looks wet, like seaweed.

What to try next:
Try it over other images, textures and patterns, with the light in front and behind.
Try it with different colours and intensities of the design elements.









No comments:

Post a Comment