First I did some sketchbook work to make a design that would be lacy, but with the elements linked as recommended in the course work.
|I decided from this sketch that the curved dark lines were better with the spirals|
|I started by machine stitching little zigzags in the spiral pattern.|
|Then I added curved strips of semi-translucent fabrics and lace, |
fixing them on with another layer of stitching in the spirals.
You need at least two layers of stitching because otherwise
it unravells when you dissolve the fabric.
|After dissolving, the shapes were floppier, and looked more organic.|
This is the finished sample seen superimposed on the grey circles from the
last blog entry. There is a hole in the middle where the design elements were not thoroughly linked.
What I have learned from this:
It doesn't take much practice to get a better result from this soluble fabric.
Walking foot on the machine helps a lot.
It doesn't need very hot water, or much rubbing either, so it's ok to use quite flimsy fabrics and yarns.
It would be difficult to get a very precise result. At least until I'm getting better at it!
The fine plastic netting I used (wrapping net from our christmas tree) gives a lovely shiny messy result and looks wet, like seaweed.
What to try next:
Try it over other images, textures and patterns, with the light in front and behind.
Try it with different colours and intensities of the design elements.