Saturday 26 April 2014

Stage 2: Printing onto organza

I am ashamed to say that while I originally got this fantastic
image from Google images, I have been unable to
find it again and therefore track down who took it.
I will keep trying and give them their due when I find it.

I haven't tried this before so I bought a few sheets of the one recommended in  the course notes called ExtravOrganza by Jacquard. I wanted an image with dark and light areas so I could see how that worked, and I thought I might want to layer some netting over it so I chose the strong image above.

I printed it on A4 paper first, and then onto the paper-backed fabric as instructed. It came out almost identical on the fabric. It says to leave it 24 hours so I did.

What I did with it next should carry a bit of a GROSS-OUT WARNING.

I have been thinking, from my interest in the textures and colours of skin, that it would be amazing to print a skin photograph onto fabric like this and then make clothes with it.

What would be the point of that? Well, not much, except if you make it mean something. Like a comment on how we cover ourselves in order to con other people into seeing us as a different shape. Or a different race, perhaps. Or on how the physical bodies of women can represent something unspeakable about being female.

From following through this train of thought, I had this image in my head of a hole in a stomach. So I tried it with the printed organza...





No comments:

Post a Comment