Thursday 27 March 2014

Conceal/reveal images - Shadows

There are a lot of ways of looking at conceal/reveal. Some of the broad groups that come to mind are shadows, reflections, layers. Today I am finding photos I have taken recently which are about shadows in various ways.

This was taken in the dark basement restaurant Belgo in Covent Garden.
Because it was dark, the light was directional and the way the glasses
changed it was interesting to me.

I seem to have lots of photos like this one, showing the
effect of leaf shadows on the texture of a knobbly trunk. Why does it appeal to me?
I think the complexity of it makes the eye keep being interested because it wants to
work out the shapes. The subtle variations in colour add interest too, intensified by the
limited range of intensity.

This one, which was taken under a very large old spreading tree, is very different but
interesting in the same sort of way - that my eye notices the similarities and differences in
the shapes of the shadows and the roots, and flits between them.
This was taken in Southwark Playhouse just before a play started.
I particularly liked the way the shapes of the people at the right
are revealed by the patches of red light, like a Dutch portrait.
I tried and failed to enhance this aspect of the photo on iphoto. But
will try out something like this in my sketchbook.



This is what shadows can do. I took this photo at Avebury where there is a prehistoric ring of stones surrounded by a deep ditch. This is what grows on the almost vertical sides of the ditch - mossy vegetation in clumps. The shapes of the clumps are almost entirely revealed by the shapes of the shadows alone.
This reminds me of the shadows made by knitting or crochet in regular patterns, that give plain garments their texture.
And thinking of other ways that shadows work with textiles, reminded of quilting, and especially white-on-white quilting, which is all about making shadows. I should do some of this in my sketchbook too.


I have put this image in here because it appears to be about shadows.
It's by a textile artist called Brent Wadden.
This photo is from www.canadianart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment