Tuesday 6 March 2018

Sketchbook work for 'So you think you know me? - 3'




This jacket is the third in my series 'So you think you know me?' which  items of outerwear which express both how a person is seen, and how they feel inside. This one is for someone who is ESTJ in Myers Briggs, 'the supervisor' who I have dressed as a security guard. My initial thoughts about how to express this steady reliable type were like this:


It seems to me that this type, more than most, would have a rather conventional appearance initially, with recognisable allegiances and clear black and white. Since I love Alexander McQueen clothes there are some of his military style clothes here, but in the end I went for a more conventional police type uniform on the outside. 

And this was some of my exploring to help with the insignia designs.



The way it works is that the outside is how the person appears to others, and the lining is how the person experiences themselves.  For this one the inside was more difficult to visualise. The person who inspired it is often under a lot of time pressure, and described feeling 'inner turmoil'. My sketchbook research for this included these pages:


Initially I had several ideas about how to express this time pressure, and tried out running stick men and something like the turmoil pictures on the left, perhaps making three-dimensional swirls.






This process taught me something about using these techniques, and also that they was not going to give me the effect I was looking for. The running stick men were not really warm enough to relate to, and as you can see in the photos above running in our culture is sometimes associated with success or athleticism. I wanted the lining to feel physically intense with a pattern that indicated that it could be hellish. Which brought me to flames and clocks/ stopwatches.  


These images from google image search had the intensity and confusion that I was looking for. 
I did some sketchbook work and came up with this design for the back lining. During this process I realised that rug hooking would give me the texture I wanted for this part of the jacket. 
The circles are for the clock faces which still needed design work.


No comments:

Post a Comment