Sunday 18 November 2012

Surfing for textile art

I spent a session looking for textile art on the web today, and these are links to some of the things I found most interesting.

Julieanne Long at Prism Textile Art

These strangely coloured shapes appeal to the part of me that is intrigued by vessels that hide things inside. They look like nests, mussels, something shaped to protect vulnerable creatures from the harshness of nature. I love these shapes. I wouldn't have thought to do them in black and red shiny strips, but it works.

Marilyn Carter at Prism

These lovely regular translucent rectangles lulled me into a feeling of beauty and comfort and then I saw there were bank notes. And it was much more complex and interesting than I had at first thought.

Catherine Dormor at Prism

These are full of open weaves and curves. The colour's like straw or raffia. It's difficult to see from the photo how 3D it really is, or is it all an illusion?

Prinkie Roberts Reflection II 2009

This series of nude women in layered fabrics and long stitches in various colours really appeal to me. I think the strong colours and relative lack of pattern in the figures lend power to their poses. The background and stitching gives interest and texture. I would like to try a stitched nude myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment