Thursday 24 January 2019

Underground upholstery design

Upholstery underground
I saw the way this design is interesting to look at both macro and micro, is definitely about London, and is practical, all at the same time. And it made me want to know who designed it and what else they have done.

Turns out it was a design consultancy called Wallace Sewell (Their website)

Some other things they have done can be seen on their website.

They obviously have a fantastic way with colour, using unusual combinations in a way that looks fun and friendly. I particularly like the rug they designed to celebrate 100th anniversary of the underground, using all the colours of the lines on the tube map. 

Finding out about this has led me to some of the other designers who have made fabrics for the underground since the Metropolitan line opened in 1863.

Link to the London Transport Museum webpage about this

Another take on the designs

My pinterest board about this

Designs by Enid Marx, one of the 1930s/1940s designers

I find the 30s designs very appealing. There's something about the geometric/ repeating organic patterns that looks organic and interesting. Something worth exploring in my sketchbook session.

I've also be reviewing 30s fashion with a view to making some clothes for myself.  My 1930s pinterest board. It seems to me that there are three 'styles' there:

1. Madame Vionnet, and more affordably Ghost bias cut dresses. These are the ones that famously sexy women have worn in the evening. They float around the curves and make the wearer look longer and more feminine.

2. Day dresses, often of cotton or silk, in patterns like the 30s ones I've pinned above. These tend to have a high waist (higher than natural waist in some cases) and an unstructured bust, with the length hitting at the widest part of my calf ie not flattering, and while I love the patterns I can't get away from the feeling that they are intrinsically dowdy. (On me at least).

3. Sports clothing. By which I mean beach pyjamas, jodhpurs, tailored straight skirts with some movement at the knee or below, tailored wide-leg turn up tweed trousers, little silk blouses with some feminine embroidery at the neck, lumpy home made jumpers and cardigans with ribbed waist and sometimes puffed sleeves. Shoes are brogues with a heel or riding boots. Hair is generally short and wavy. This is the one for me! I've started making a 30s influenced woollen biker jacket which I'll post when it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment