Tuesday 14 May 2019

Wasp moth coat: the hood

This particular coat has a transparent hood designed to look like one of two pairs of moth wings. These images trace the process of designing and making them.


Design board for this coat, set up to discuss final design decisions
with the commissioner.
You can see some inspiration photos chosen by her to guide my design
 and some samples and sketches of my ideas.
(Permission given to publish photo)


typesofinsects.com/I wanted to make something as striking as this wasp moth, particularly the shininess of the wings,
and the bright orange and black contrast.When I think of moths I think of how fluffy they are,
so the way I made it had to allow for softness.
I drew the wing pattern
onto PVC with a sharpie
I tried out some
acrylic paint (which wasn't going to work)



The black was cut from
a remnant of soft black
suede















After some more exploring, the plan was to make a hood out of a large pvc collar, so that when it wasn't raining the upper wings lie over the woven wings of the moth on the upper back of the coat. But when it was raining it could be zipped up into the hood, with the wing shapes beside the face.


Inspired by Elsa Schiaparelli, I made buttons from supersculpy
 in the shapes of developmental stages of the wasp moth
(My commissioner preferred a zip, so these aren't in the final design)

This is part way through machine-stitching the soft black fabric and zip onto the PVC collar,
using tissue paper to stop the machine sticking to the plastic.
Yes, that is my kitchen table.

No comments:

Post a Comment