Sunday 6 January 2013

Project 6 Stage 4 Raised and structured surface textures

For this exercise I tried out a variety of techniques to give 3D qualities to fabric. This page shows examples of what I tried out.

Gathering
Lines closer together give rows
of them in both directions. This
reminds me of the bodice of
an Edwardian silk dress in the V&A
so I tried to make the bulges squarer...

Gathered lining fabric gives ovals
of folds.
But used the wrong fabric - in this
case net curtain material, which ended
up being too shapeless to hold the
squares.

Muslin gathered in circles made little
bulges like mushrooms or the
bulges on the membranes of cells.
I like.


























Folding & Pleating


These straight pleats reversed at the end
 to give an interesting structure.
I found the easy pleatability of this
fabric was attractive and conducive to
experimentation.
This stiff organdie started as plain
straight  pleats but easily turned
into the shape of a lily pad.


These folds in thin printed cotton
were secured with stitching to allow them to
hang down in a regular rank 

This organdie was given straight
pleats and then sewn in a fan
shape to give a 3D wing-like
structure

I used lines of stitches to change the
colour of areas on this pleated stripy
cotton upholstery fabric

This was made of two strips of
woven polyester with yellow on one side
and red on the other. I folded them at
right angles to each other to make
this variegated 3D ribbon.












Tucking

Pin tucks in muslin gives lines of shadow.
Which emphasise the irregularity of my
machine sewing...
Pin tucks in two directions makes
nice little boxes, or as at the top of
this, a web-like appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment